- Do not smoke for 48 hours.
- Avoid foods and beverages that stain (red sauce, blueberries, juice, coffee, tea, etc.).
- Mild sensitivity to hot or cold liquids may occur. This usually passes within 1 – 2 days. If sensitivity persists, we recommend taking over the counter pain medication. We recommend combining two Ibuprofens (such as Motrin) with two Acetaminophens (such as Tylenol).
- If you experience gum sensitivity do not brush the afflicted area while brushing your teeth.
Immediate whitening results can be quite dramatic due to minor dehydration of your teeth. It is normal for the color to tone down somewhat after treatment when your teeth rehydrate to a natural white tone.
- Long term results vary from patient to patient. This can depend on the original shade of your teeth and include habits such as smoking or drinking colored beverages (red wine, coffee, tea, etc.).
- Touch-up treatments may be needed every 6-12 months to retain color. You are being sent home with take-home trays and Pola whitening gel to use as needed for touchups. More whitening gel can be purchased as needed.
- Existing fillings, crowns, bonding, etc. will not whiten. Therefore, these may need to be changed in order to match your new smile.